Saturday, October 25, 2008

Me Again

Okay, Kristi again...Tami didn't ask me to give this update, but I know we have some GREAT prayer warriors out there, and I wanted to keep you updated...

Friday morning we had POOP!!!! So, that's the good news...

Unfortunately, there was MAJOR frustration today. One know-it-all doc that thought she had all the answers, and was totally not hearing our concerns. Seriously, Tami was ready to walk until her patient advocate came in, and we finally got some communication going.

Kenny and I had to leave for home around noon on Friday, because I am working Fri-Sun. I'm very frustrated that I can't be there in person right now to advocate for her, but I did spend quite a bit of time on the phone with Tami, Norm, the floor nurse, and Tami tech. After hours of talking and call after call, we finally got somewhere...

Wait, let me back up...sorry I think I am getting a little groggy!

Today, the docs are saying that they are encouraged that Tami's bowels are moving, and desire to find a good combination of bowel/pain regimes that work for her so she can go home and eat and not have pain. There isn't nearly as much testing going on as we imagined, and I got a desperate email from Tami about meds, which began my gaggle of phone calls around 10:30 tonight. When I last talked to her, her blood pressure had dropped (again!) and she was loaded w/ pain meds, zanax, and a sleeping pill, plus bowel relaxers and a laxative. She was getting quite loopy, so after one more call to the nurse to smooth things over and make sure she is looked after, I am hoping she can settle in for some sleep. I am assuming she is pretty pooped (pardon the pun) after a stressful day of trying so hard to communicate, and hope it wore her out enough to cause a restful night of sleep.

I know I am rambling a bit, so let me summarize...

The docs think that this bowel issue is multi-faceted...a combo of bowel changes post surgery and maybe even med related (pain meds can complicate constipation.) They want to keep her there to find the winning drug combo to prevent these pain episodes so she can eat w/out fear before sending her home, and have talked about a follow up colonoscopy once her bowels are less irritated.

Please pray...

For wisdom and direction for the doctors. That they are caring and work hard to find and solve the source of her pain.

For Tami for comfort and peace. That she can rest up and feel acknowledged and heard. That she can eat without fear and pain, and for God sakes, that her blood pressure stop dropping and that she can stay hydrated!

For Norm, that he continues to advocate for her...(and me! I HATE being this far away)

Thanks so much for the support, you will never know how comforting it is to see the people that care for our mom! (in-law)

I will try to update one more time towards the end of the weekend when I am less sleep-deprived or if anything new comes into play...

Okay, bedtime!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so very much, Kristi, for the update and for keeping us informed. Yes - there are lots of people praying like there is no tomorrow. Please know that each and every post you make is appreciated.

Can't stop thinking of Tami, or praying for relief, relaxation, understanding...or whatever the hell is needed. It can be so discouraging when you can't make your words and feelings understood. Anxiety and fear - can't think of anything worse - to tell you the truth.

from Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Kristi: thanks for the update. please keep us posted. we are all out here worrying for our gal. she is so strong to go through all of this. Prayers and faith will get her through this. Barb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Tami is in my thoughts. Wishing her the best, as always.
-- the lounge queen

Anonymous said...

My prayers are being sent first to Tami and then her doctors ... please find relief for Tami. I am glad that they are finally doing something and keeping her until they find a solution. My cancer kickin candle is burning in your honor - hang in there!

Blessings -
Nanc