Saturday, August 16, 2008

My legacy is my kids and the things in life you don't want to pass along

It's not easy being me. I don't have a lot of "things" I have never really been a thing collector. I have 4 kids, so I guess I collected kids. I always wanted more kids, but the ex didn't so I got my tubes tied and then had a hysterectomy as soon as I started having problems for fear of getting cancer. Otherwise I guarantee I would have had more kids when I met Norm. Norm has been a wonderful father to my kids through the years, and an even better grandpa to our grandkids.

I think the thing that hurts me the most about cancer and it is just occuring to me is the legacy I leave to my kids and my grandkids and generations to come. I leave them with having to be extra careful and watch every sign of illness they ever get as it might be cancer. They now have two generations of cancer, my mom, and their mom, me.... This breaks my heart. I can deal with it, I am glad cancer happened to me instead of to anyone else in my family, but it hurts so bad that I have to pass on the fear of cancer to the generations to come. I have to pass on, that no matter how careful I was, how I went for yearly mammograms, had a colonoscopy at 40, had a hysterectomy at 29, that I did everything I thought I could do to make sure I didn't repeat history, I still ended up with cancer.... I HATE this. I hate passing this on, and I hate that I just realized how real the fear is. My son has had heartburn forever, and I have been on him forever to see a Dr. and he cancelled the appt. twice and got frustrated over something else and was going to cancel the 3rd appt the other day..... I called him and made him promise me he would go to the Dr. He is fine, but it made it so real that I have put the same fear of cancer into my kids as I grew up with. My son was filled with the "what if" fear.. I know the what if fear so well, I lived it for over 30 years and I can't even change it for my kids, for my grandkids, for future generations. I keep wandering if my Mom had "the fear". But I keep telling myself, but I did everything I could do to prevent myself from dying of cancer.....they say my cancer doesn't test positive for hpncc, which is a cancer gene that is passed down, but that doesn't mean my kids won't test positive for hpncc, and even if they don't, they have to live the rest of their lives with "the fear", and they have to know and wonder just like I do and everyone else does, how did this happen to me and could it happen to them? My only wish for them is to put "the fear" where it needs to be and maybe, just maybe they can live to be 105. I hope my kids are careful when it comes to their healthcare, but I also hope my kids can learn to live without "the fear" controlling their lives the way I realize it controlled mine. Cancer teaches me a new lesson every day and I don't like this lesson at all.....

On the medical front, my red blood count and hematocrit are low, not low enough for my Dr to do anyhing about for now though. My white blood count and platelets have jumped back to close to normal as they always do the week after chemo. I just need to keep the faith that everything will stay good for the next two weeks. Chemo is getting tough, or maybe it is the blood counts that are making me feel bad. I have chest weirdness, shortness of breath and am tired alot. The numbness in my hands and feet are getting worse and well my memory is not so great. I pray that I can continue to tolerate chemo, that my blood counts at least stay at a safe point and I can continue to enjoy life, one day at a time.

This whole week has been nonstop busy, Sarah wanted me to make some sort of candle favors for her wedding, so I poured votive size favors, packaged them, labeled them, decorated them and am still working on them. I am so glad to be able to do something for her wedding which is coming up in just a little over a month! I found a gorgous dress today to wear to her wedding. I am so thankful that it looks like I WILL be here for her wedding! I am passing so many milestones that the Dr's said I wouldn't and each one makes me even stronger. This is the week we have triple birthdays. My granddaughters birthday on the 15th, My grandsons birthday on the 17th and my sons birthday on the 19th. My Mother and father in law will be down from Canada in 9 days for a month. I can't wait to see them. They were here when I was diagnosed, actually they arrived while I was initially in the hospital, and I swear they have had their car ready to go since they got back, they just kept saying you know we will come down in a heartbeat, and I know they would. Last year when they were here I was on clear liquids for 18 days so I couldn't eat any of Mom's good Canadian cooking, so I can't wait until a few weeks, when she has promised me she would cook for me:)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tami; it sounds like you have a busy schedule for the next few months. it will be so exciting having your in-laws home for a while. hopefully your mother-in-law can encourage you to eat. sounds like she is a really good cook. I bet that your dress is beautiful. can't wait for a picture of the wedding on your web site. have a good weekend. Barb

Anonymous said...

Tami I understand a little bit of how you feel about passing the cancer genes on to your children. Both of my parents and both of DH's parents have been diagnosed with cancer. Hopefully in the future early diagnosis will be routine...at least in our gandchildren's time...if I ever have any.

About being a collector of things, I am one and I find as I've gotten older that those things are more of a burden but a burden I can't let go of. I'm pretty sure there is a psychological reason I need things. They aren't extremely valuable things but I always planned to pass them along to my children but I'm pretty sure they don't want most of them. So I'm feeling an urgency to clear some of it out so my children won't have to but it's overwhelming and I can't seem to even accomplish that. See what you have missed by not collecting things?

I'm jealous...you even have great in-laws LOL. Some of that TLC will be good for you. Maybe MIL can get in on some of the wedding preps. It sounds like you have an exciting month ahead and you've got half the work over by having found the perfect dress. Now just sit back and enjoy being pampered and seeing your baby go through such a joyous occasion...Brenda

Anonymous said...

Tammy ,,,This is Donna Deb's sis i don't know if you recall me or not. Just wanted to say Keep up the faith the lord will guide you and your family through all of this.Debbie sent this to me. HUGGS to you and the family...Donna

Anonymous said...

Tami - I can understand - in a way - your hate of passing on the fear of cancer. My mother died of breast cancer when I was just 6 years old. I do not remember my mom and I hate that. I figure someday I will get breast cancer - the year they found spots in my mammograph, I was the same age my mom was when she died. I freaked, but I was lucky - it turned out benign.

The point I want to make is this ... you have the opportunity to make memories with your kids and grandkids. You can write to them or video tape to leave them something solid to remember you if the grandkids are young. I wish so much I had more of my mother - I cherish what little I do have. I know so little about mom and have no one to ask ....

This blog deals with your cancer .... maybe start a blog or a journal about you - the things that make you smile. Your family will cherish that. This is something we all should do - cancer or not. After all my Ted was killed by a truck on his drive home from work - life is not fair.

I am babbling now, but I want you to know that you are an inspiration to me and I am sure all who knows you. You are real!

As for that Canadian cooking ..... awwww, I am jealous! Does she make poutine??

Love ya!
:)
Nanc

Anonymous said...

Hey Tami, I am so glad you will be able to go to sara'a wedding, wow all grown up and getting married, I can remember when you wre in the labor room having her I was in the hall telling the staff to let me in there with you.and then having sara over my house for the night.calling her pretty in spanish. Keep up the faith God is watching over you and your family,You know I would be there if I could.

Love Ya
Debbie

P.S. send pic's

Anonymous said...

I love Nanc's idea of you recording all your thoughts, all the things that make you smile, things you remember from childhood, all the beauty in your life. I think we should all do this for those that follow us. What a treasure this will be for many in years to come.

Love ya,

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I think you're looking at your legacy the wrong way. Since most cancers are not hereditary but caused by environmental factors, you may not necessarily have passed onto them any bad genes at all! But not knowing for sure, your kids will be vigilant for the rest of their lives, and hence they will have a much better chance of discovering any environmental cancers, or any other health problems for that matter, early enough to treat. You may actually have saved the lives of your offspring!!!
Much better point of view, isn't it?
-- the lounge queen