Tuesday, May 6, 2008

So I am a drug addict

My newest dilema. I am a drug addict, not to illegal drugs but to percocet. They gave me this after I was discharged from the hospital for pain. When I went back down for my recheck they gave me another prescription which I filled, they said call a week ahead so we can mail you a prescription since it is a narcotic it has to be a written prescripton. I called last week. After a few days of no returned phone calls,etc, one of the residents finally called me back. She wanted to know whyI needed a prescrip so fast, so I explained the whole thing again. Yesterday the prescription arrived... it is dated for May 10. Yesterday I felt kinda weird, like I was going to pass out, just not right, and ya I had cut down on my percocet as I was getting down there in pills. So today, I know I only have 2 percocets left, so don't take any. Again this afternoon I feel that " I just don't feel so great feeling, jittery, anxious and I think hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it's from not taking the percocet, so I look it up on the internet and it clearly says do not just stop taking percocet, you may have withdrawel symptoms.... so I am thinking yup this is what is going on. I call St Louis and say thanks for the refill but it is dated wrong. My local oncologist doesn't prescribe percocet, so basically I am going thru withdrawel on top of everything else, oh yeah! I guess if it gets worse I am going to go the e.r. and see if they can give me a prescription for percocet to get me thru until the 10th. I wish someone would have told me you can't just stop taking percocet, but then again I wish the Dr would have written down a correct date on the prescription. So, it's official I for the first time in my life am wondering how I can get my fix of percocet... all I can do is laugh about it,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

medicine does funny things to a person. and going off of them is very hard. good luck with that percocet. thougth about you a lot these past few days. hope the results from your ct are good. I will keep my fingers crossed. and as always the prayers will always continue for you and your family. as you well know prayer is a very powerful thing. Barb

Anonymous said...

Tami I've been catching up on your blog and comments and I just want to say that as a professional courtesy, I think you should have shared your alternative names for wick dippers a long time ago LOL. I can tell you are a fun bunch and I just hate that I live too far away for a visit.

I'm sorry that they left you without the meds you need to get through without withdrawal..sometimes you have to wonder. Prayers and positive thoughts for good news are coming your way. Like everyone else, I'm always eager for news. Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hey Druggie!

Hope all is well now that we are restocked in drugs! Just wanted to let you know that we prayed for your results tonight as a fam. and will be praying like crazy tomorrow, too! Let us know as soon as you do, and call me on the way home, I need my Tami fix!

Love ya!
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know about percocet, but I do know there are some drugs across the street from me - if it gets too bad come on over ... JUST KIDDING!
Prayers are headed your way and good thoughts!
I realized I had the wrong name .... DICK WHIPPERS is what Kristi was selling that day, wasn't it?? LOL Hope it doesn't hurt to laugh! (Hi Kristi!)
:)
Nanc

Anonymous said...

Ahh.. Drugs are so nice:) I used to be so scared of needles and medicines. But since dialysis I learned that they are our friends.

Withdrawal isn't fun. One of the hardest to get away from for me was the sleeping pills - it took a year or so doctors didn't seem to mine - but I sure did. Was so hard I eventually got to Tylenol PM which was easier to wean off of.

It has been about 5 years since my transplant but I still think about the pain pills when I have an ache. Hmm, IV pain relievers ROCK. Am I a druggie? Could be very easily. Be careful & take care
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey Nance!

Hope all is well w/ you!
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Hi Tami!
Percocet is SO good. I had it after surgery once. I'm sorry you are going through withdrawls! Those are no fun either! It just makes me feel down right lousy-but you really just can't put your finger on what is MAKING you feel lousy ya know?? I hope you get more drugs soon so you can feel better then comforably wean yourself off of them!
Dick Whippers!! LMAO!!! Everytime I talk about those at a party I think of Kristi saying that! It cracks me up! That is a classic!
Take care & have a good Mothers day. I am thinking about you all the time hoping you are getting your strenght back & feeling better. Love-Laurie