Friday, March 6, 2009

1 week

Well it's Friday, tomorrow it will have been one week since Tami left. Everyone has been really supportive so far, and its been nice having the parents here. I've been sleeping, although I only have managed twice in my own bed so far. Last week at this time I was sleeping on the couch with Tami, her repeatedly squeezing my hand thru the night, looking back its like she knew, I dunno.

I am not sure its fully sunk in yet, I mean with my parents here and everyone being around its been a bit of a buffer, all that will die down soon and I will be alone in this house. It's a little scary to be honest. I am sure I can keep myself busy with any number of things but I don't know that it will help.

I had a nice lunch with Eric today, I hope to hang out with him and the rest of the kids more going forward. Mckayla and Korban are here tonight, spending the night. Its nice, but I still feel like a piece is missing. We were washing Korban's hands in "Nana's" bathroom, and in the corner were a pair of Nana's slippers. Korban asked whose those were and I said they were Nana's. Korban said God better come get those slippers for Nana. How do you not just melt? We proceeded to discuss all the things they already had in heaven, I assured both kids Nana has more than we have down here, I also said that Gizmo was there with her, and that made them happy.

I dunno, I feel the worst is yet to come for me, I feel like the private melt downs I have had are just the start, the distractions I have managed to keep throwing up will eventually run out, sooner or later Sarah and Josh or KJ and Kristi will get sick of me, gawd I am the odd man again, the third wheel, this just blows my mind still. I am still waiting for Tami to come down the hall telling me to get my butt off the computer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norm, my heart is aching for you. Keep writing your thoughts. Getting your feelings out whether it is here on the blog, or in a private journal, will hopefully help you some. Thinking of you always.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. Dr. Seuss.



I read this somewhere this week and thought of you.

Kathy -

Kristi said...

Norm,

Thanks for keeping the kids! They had a blast with you, and I hope the Nana questions weren't too hard...

Please please please know that we don't think of you as a third wheel. You are part of the fam, and we need to be around you as much as you need to be around all of us.

Also know that the offer always stands, you are a part of our family, and family is always welcome to join us for whatever!

We love ya!
Kristi and the fam

Anonymous said...

When my grandma died I found the hardest parts were the change of routines that involved her. Whether it was time for her ____, or while shopping not having to reach for an item I usually bought her, they often ended up in meltdowns. The brain takes a while to get used to or un-used to things -- it took me a year before those meltdowns finally disappeared.
Hang in there Norm, as much as it hurts time will heal.
--- the lounge queen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your comments. Mom has been gone for over 10 years and I still miss certain things BUT I'm able to laugh about alot of things now.
You are a GREAT writer and I enjoy reading your writings. You will get through this and be touched by others as well as touching others with your writings.
Thanks
Shelly :)

Anonymous said...

Norm: this will be a very hard adjustment for you. but always remember that your friends and family will always be here for you. I totally agree with Shelley, you will with time have so many good memories of Tami. she would want it that way. the good memories and a good laugh once in a while will get you through this. sometimes just to talk to a councellor might help. I know after the death of my sister I went to talk to someone from Hospice, and this helped me a lot..............Barb

Anonymous said...

Norm,keep yourself busy and around friends and family as much as you can,Time does heal the sole, I lost my husband "Bill " August 2,2008 and my mom Febuary 22,2009. I find myself wanting to call my mom or Bill if I am out and see something or when something funny happens with the grandkids, When I read that Tami passed away I broke down and asked myself how much can a person take.I feel for you.Tami is and was a very special person and loved by many.She will be in our harts forever. Stay strong.

Debora " Deb " in Florida

Kristi said...

Hey Norm,

We have been missing you, but this week is really crazy for me w/ the HS play happening this weekend...I think we might come over for a bit tonight, though.

C ya then!