Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Overdue Update

Sorry for the delay in getting the update, with Tami still in the hospital and me back at work it makes for limited time for much of anything.

As I said, Tami is still in the hospital, She has had bouts of different pain, starting from an epidermal headache, which I hear is quite common, basically the hole they drill in your spine can leak spinal fluid and cause headaches, once it seals itself the headaches stop. Luckily Tami's seem to be easing up now.

Of course she can just be lucky enough to only have that, her tummy is horrible bloated up, she is having sever gas pain, they have her getting morphine from the internal pump in her, from an external pump she can hit when she needs, and they are giving her 2mgs of Deladid every 2 hours as needed. Basically the amount of pain meds she is taking would kill me or you if taken (this is a proven fact, I took a couple of her oxicodones for a bit of a tooth ache I had at the hospital the other day, and they pretty much floored me). She has built up such a tolerance of pain meds they have to load it on, carefully, for it to effect her.

It is frustrating coming to work, I feel like all the work I do with her kinda slips backwards, this isn't a knock against anyone helping me out and staying with Tami during the day, but I know I can push her  a little harder, or tell what she needs easier than anyone else. As an example, yesterday when all this gas started up she had a nurse she hadn't had before. Well this nurse had it all figured out. Tami asked for a GasX earlier in the day, and got it. Then she hate lunch a couple hours later and asked for another one, well the nurse would have nothing of it, Tami was required to eat more food before she would even consider giving her another GasX, she also claimed that Tami was not bloated at all, an apparently told her daughter Sherri that she wasn't hurting as bad as she was acting.

When I got there at about 4:30, I started asking for this GasX that Tami had been wanting since 1pm. At 5:30ish she finally came in with it, I asked why she thought she needed to withhold GasX from my wife, and how she could say that she wasn't bloated when Tami looked 6 months pregnant and her tummy was hard as a rock. The nurse went on to say that she had tried everything to get Tami to "go" (have a bowel movement) When I said the issue was the gas she was having, and that GasX offered some relief at times she just shrugged, started to walk out of the room and stated that she didn't have any answers, I replied with "obviously".

Tami doesn't need any extra drama on top of everything else, when she gets upset the gas and pain only get worse, I blame the fact that she probably wont be considered for release today all on that one nurses inability to show some care and understand, we know Tami's body better than any nursing school or any number of years experience. I was looking forward to getting there last night and getting her up walking around the halls, she did walk around the room, but in obvious pain. Tonight I am just hopeful I get there and she has some pain control back.

I have been staying with Tami till 3am, then driving home to get ready for work and check on the dogs and cat, it was hard to leave her this morning because she was in so much pain. Hopefully she will be able to get the gas a little more under control and we can get her relaxing again, days like yesterday just want me to get her home faster as we can look after her as well if not better than these hospitals seem to be able to pull off on a consistent basis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Norm, It is a shame how some people can be so insencitive.sounds like someone needs to change job's.I bet is the shoe was on the other foot she would have acted different.I hope for Tami and your sake that Tami gets to come home very soon.if not can't you request that she have another nurce come in . I know I did when Bill was in the Hospital and I didn't like the treatment he recived. Give Tami a hug and tell her I love her I am praying for ya'll.

Deb

Anonymous said...

Norm: I hope that Tami can go home today. we once in a while will run across a nurse like you described when Vickie is in the hospital. it really does sour you on all hospitals when you get a jerk like her. it sounds like Deb says that she is in the wrong profession. it also sounds like you need some rest. I don't know how you do it. take care, give Tami a great big hug from me. I think about her all day long. Love and prayers from Barb and Dale