Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Well...

I am not even sure what to title this entry, Tami had a CT Scan on Monday Night, she had been having horrible pain, and had been terribly bloated. The results were not surprising, but not good either. The tumors had grown in just a short 2 week period up to 20% more. We assumed that we would see growth, but of course it is still a punch in the stomach when you see it. The doctor sat me down and showed me where the tumors are, and how bad it is. Her bladder is surrounded and invaded by the cancer, the tumor in her liver measures some 15 cm. The cause of the pain and bloating is due to not only her gas problems but now fluid building up in her abdomen.

They drained some of this fluid from her yesterday, up to 1500cc of fluid, and she still has twice as much of that in her. They are going to go back and put in a catheter in her to drain this fluid at home. Hopefully she will be going home today or tomorrow. We both agree that she doesn't need to leave till her pain is at a controllable level.

Anyways, with this news, her Oncologist recommended that we move to Hospice option with Tami. This means someone will be in daily at home to take care of her, but also means that treatment would all but stop. They dont think she is strong enough to do anything surgically for her cancer, such as a de-bulking. Radiation would only target a small portion of the cancer and would only allow everything else to grow. Chemo with all its side effects would be hard on Tami, and possible wouldn't effect the cancer well enough to do much good.

It's not really fair, it isn't supposed to happen like this. I feel like I could have/should have done more for her, and its a tough pill to swallow now that we have to basically throw in the towel.

Special thanks to Liz, Sherri, and Sherry for covering for me at the hospital so I could go back to work some.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say -- I am so sorry to hear the news. Before you throw in the towel, please take one more look at the article http://www.medicorcancer.com/, the site http://thedcasite.com/index.html, and the Toronto clinic that offers the DCA treatment http://www.medicorcancer.com/.
Wishing you both peace of mind... the lounge queen

Anonymous said...

Norm I am so sorry. I agree with lounge queen. There is a woman in my town that was already comatose with only days or weeks left when her husband took her to Mexico a few year back...in a hospital bed that he put in the van they use for their business. He's a pretty big advocate for the treatment she received.

Please give Tami a hug for me and know that you are all in my prayers for peace and comfort and relief from pain for Tami...love, Brenda

Brandie said...

Norm, just want to let you and Tami and the rest of your family know that you are in my thoughts and prayers EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I pray for peace and comfort for all of you. I hate to see you throw in the towel on this. You are both such fighters. Please give Tami a huge soft hug for me and tell her that I am thinking about her all the time. Oh and let her know that Nana (my mom) is also thinking of her to.
Much love to all of you.
Brandie

Anonymous said...

Norm: feel assured that you have done everything possible for Tami and I know she would agree with this. keeping her out of pain is the very best option right now I think. give Tami my love and as always our prayers are with her.