Monday, January 26, 2009

Back in the Hospital

Norm again...

We had to take Tami back to the Hospital last night. Let me catch you up to date. Last Thursday she started retaining urine somewhat from the pain meds. We took her to Outpatient care and had a catheter put in. It did not go well, it did not drain right and it caused her alot of discomfort. We took her back a couple hours later to have it removed.  The next morning at about 2:30 am Tami started passing blood clots when she peed. Needless to say this was a little concerning. We took her to the ER on Friday and they said it should be ok as long as she was still able to urinate, they could do a scan that could look and see what was going on in there but it being Friday they didn't have a urologist that could come in and do this, I suppose you should only get sick 9-5 Monday thru Friday.

Tami did ok the rest of Friday and into Saturday, then the pain flared up real bad, she started having trouble passing these clots and she wasn't eating or sleeping much. I, unfortunately, am a bad person for trying to stay up and get her relaxed to go to sleep, rubbing her puts me to sleep, or if she goes to the bathroom for a couple minutes I am out cold, she might have gotten a couple hours over night, but not much. Sunday morning we decided that she needed to go to the ER, that she couldn't wait for her appointment on Monday. We took her to St Mary's in Decatur as that is where she was to be admitted today for her pain pump anyways. The hooked her up to a catheter that would flush out her bladder. Right now they are leaning towards it just being a infection, perhaps caused by the insertion of the catheter from the Outpatient center. Worse case scenario though is that the tumor close to her bladder has invaded her bladder, at that point I am not sure what they will do. They hooked her back up to a PCA pump and she was able to settle down and get some sleep before I left the hospital. Her sister Debbie came down to spend the week with her so I could go back to work, I appreciate it greatly, but I am having horrible guilt about leaving Tami there in the hospital. 

Today they should have her scheduled to have a pump put in that she will be able to wear home. We are hoping that this will help her control pain enough to be able to get back to a more normal schedule, perhaps even Chemo. Right now we have her set up to have Home Healthcare come in and visit 2 times a week. I am not sure this will be enough, Tami shouldn't really be alone right now so I will have to see what I can do to get more help on Monday - Thursday when I am working, or even look into taking a leave from work. With everything going on they haven't given Tami much time, in fact the Oncologist told us just a couple weeks, but she back pedaled on that statement later on, regardless it's getting not looking the best, Tami is still swinging, but she is getting tired.

Currently Tami is at St Mary's, room 242. I dont for-see her being there much past Wed as they will want to observe her to make sure the dosage on the pain pump is suitable before discharging her. I get a lot of calls and miss a lot as well, just keep trying, dont think we are ignoring anyone, just sometimes its not easy to get to the phone or deal with anything but what is going on in the moment. I hope at least that this pump will give her some comfort, she has been fighting so hard, the pain she has been getting has just been insult to injury. I appreciate all the support we have been given so far, this is the toughest thing we have ever been thru, and it doesn't look like i will get much easier anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cancer just plain sucks! Thanks for updating Norm. Tami and you are in my prayers - just wish I could perform magic and take the pain - the cancer away. You are in my prayers - hold on.

Blessings,
Nanc